[ale] Motherboard capacitors bursting

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 12:51:05 EDT 2004

I don't know how many of you read Electronic Design, but there was an
article about 2 years ago covering the capacitor problem. The
technical info is available from a coulpe different websites,
including: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html.
Basically, it turns out to be a case of corporate espionage.

A South Korean company stole an electrolyte formula from a Japanese
company, but the formula was mistranslated, which caused lots of
mboard problems.

I had this happen to a buddy of mine whom I built a computer for back
in 2000. He ended up replacing the board twice, the first was an Abit,
the second was a FIC (I think). Hasn't had any problems since.

WMM