[ale] OT: How to live (and work) happy forever (was: ot:hitler's draft)

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 23:23:37 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 22:55, Steve Nicholas wrote:

> In defense, Jim may have been referring to becoming FD&H (fat, dumd, and
> happy) syndrom.  But I'll leave it up to Jim to clarify ( since I just
> gave him a possible out :-)

FD&H is a bit harsh, I prefer "settled" or "afraid of change".  Imagine
driving the same car for 25+ years or eating at the same cafeteria for
25+ years.  How about working with the same people for 25 years!  OK, I
know that those big (bureaucratic?) entities have many nooks and
crannies to hide in, however I can't go to work just to hide or
"exist".  I have to be doing something I like, staying motivated,
learning new things, making impressions, and most important: enjoying
it.  I find that changing my career focus every 5 or 10 years is a good
way to keep my mind sharp and myself satisfied.  YMMV, but to me working
at the same place for 25 years is boring.  Go see how other companies
function.  Besides, if your motivation is $$, you can always get a
bigger "raise" by jumping ship.

> If the above is not true, maybe Jim can point us to aa employer / field
> that might better serve us.

Monster.com, the world is waiting for you.  ;)

-Jim P.