[ale] OT- sorta - DNS

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 22:43:28 EST 2004

This is possible only if you are only looking to do this for a domain which you
have control over the webserver.   It's quite simple to do in Apache with dual
VirtualHost settings where one is a ServerAlias that redirects to the second
VirtualHost.  For instance, you can have http://blah.com seemlessly redirect to
http://www.blah.com.  Here are the essential Apache settings that do this:

<VirtualHost www.blah.com:80>
    ServerName www.blah.com
    DocumentRoot /www/
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost www.blah.com:80>
    ServerAlias blah.*  # catches blah.net and blah.com
    Redirect permanent / http://www.blah.com/
</VirtualHost>

Make sense?

-Jim P.