[ale] [OT] Aluminum, Steel or Plastic fabrication for hobbyists?

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Sun Nov 28 20:31:03 EST 2004

Guys - Do any of you know much about fabricating hobby projects?
Specifically, I was wondering if there are any places I can go to learn
about making plastic molds (hobbyist grade), or machining sheet
metal/aluminum.

Are there classes I could take at the local Uni to learn these
techniques?  Are there local vendors that will allow me to use their
tools for a small fee?

Basically, I'm trying to make a part made of plastic, and an aluminum
(or steel) housing.

I'm trying emachineshop.com right now, but they don't seem to have
"laser-cut" available for aluminum/steel plates.

Does anyone here have any fabrication experience?  Can anyone give me
any tips / pointers?

Thanks in advance!
-CB