[ale] usbdevfs confusion

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Sun Nov 14 15:51:18 EST 2004

Jerald, thanks for the help, but my device isn't a memory stick.  It's
actually a USB-serial converter.  I have it working on one of my linux
boxes, but not the other.  I can't seem to figure out why.

When I plug the device in, it says it's being added to "ttyUSB0".  I
have a /dev/ttyUSB0 with the right character node (188 0) and my
permissions are apparently correct (because they're the same as on the
working machine).

Is there a utility I can use to monitor the /dev/ttyUSB0 device to see
if anything is happening there?  I've tried "cat /dev/ttyUSB0", but no adeu.

Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
CB