[ale] VNC very slow at displaying background

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Nov 12 17:16:46 EST 2004

I've just started seriously using VNC this week, and there is something I
don't get.  Why is it that I can display a full screen Evolution windows
fairly quickly--that's a screen full of carachters and other small graphics--
but when I try to display my screen background it slows to a crawl.

I figured it was most likely the gradient in the image.  That would make
sense.  So I now have a solid color background.  It is just one color all the
way across, and there is no noticable improvement in speed.  It is still
faster to display graphics.

Anyone else experienced this?

I'm using the RHEL Xvnc server and either tight VNC or the KDE client
Krdc--both are like that, so I don't think it is the client.

Thanks,

Michael