[ale] apology... I am a moron

jay jloden at toughguy.net
Thu Nov 11 21:51:25 EST 2004

No,I think in that case, Warren was making a legitimate point. Slackware
(tgz) packages have next to zero dependency information included in
them, and are therefore extremely difficult (if not impossible) to
create an effective package management solution for.

For us Slackware fans, there's swaret and there's slapt-get, and more
recently emerde.  None of the above are terribly fantastic.  slapt-get
simply doesn't really do dependencies at all, swaret does - kind of -
and emerde is still in beta and isn't quite there yet.

Don't take this the wrong way, I love Slackware, and it's great, but
it's still for all intents and purposes a one-man distro, there's
limited package selection to begin with, and none of the package
management systems are up to the level of apt-get or urpmi, at least not
yet.  I imagine emerde could be, but I only ever succeeded  in hosing my
slackware install with the version I tried, and I'm a little too
impatient to wait 24 hours to download and compile updates on my 700mhz
laptop.

-Jay