[ale] Mandrake upgrade via nfs

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Thu Nov 11 14:27:27 EST 2004

NFS has SERIOUS security problems.  At the very least add an IP Chains/Tables
rule to only accept NFS packets from the IP that is your NFS server.

A better solution might to download the new version's image to a local
system set up as your NFS server.  Break your connection to the Internet
and then do the upgrade, test/debug.

I agree that NFS installs/upgrades work great.  I used to do this a lot
with Slackware for old laptops that didn't have CDs to avoid a dozen floppy
xfers.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]