[ale] Load average high when disk usage is heavy

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Thu Nov 11 07:43:04 EST 2004

Nope. Nothing is ever written to a log when this happens. It has become less of
an issue since I installed a 2G swap drive but it still occurs.

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:15:33 -0500
"James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 19:48, James Sumners wrote:
> > I have been having a really serious problem with load average and system
> > response when processes access the disk a lot for quite a while now. I am
> > wondering if anyone is having, or had, this problem? If so, do you have any
> > ideas what I can do to fix this? I believe it started happening when I moved
> > to the 2.6.x kernel series. With, and without, pre-emption enabled.
>
> Check your logs. Are you having a problem with the IDE channel
> resettting? read/write/IO errors?
>
> I had a similar issue that was a precursor to a dead hard drive.
>
> --
> James P. Kinney III          \Changing the mobile computing world/
> CEO & Director of Engineering \          one Linux user         /
> Local Net Solutions,LLC        \           at a time.          /
> http://www.localnetsolutions.com

> <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

James Sumners
http://ug.dyndns.org/~jsumners/

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted."

CH:D 59