[ale] fetchmail right tool?

Vincent Fox vf5 at plm.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 10 22:49:38 EST 2004

Okay I have a problem that I am stuck on, perhaps someone has a better idea?

A user comes to me wanting to download and archive nearly 8,000 messages
off a shared mail account.  Main goal is to archive this old messages,
clean the account down to only the last few months of messages.

The first thing that occurs to me is to use fetchmail.

However fetchmail expects a local MTA to deliver to. So I start up
postfix on the local machine (localhost-only access) and fire a fetchmail.
A quick hack, and I think a the time a simple and safe one.

Since this is a shared account that it's coming from, it seems like
all the To: and Cc: info is causing bounces however to get delivered
back to the senders. So some of the senders into this account
get 50-200 bounces of messages from 2 years ago. They call wondering
WTF is going on with this rogue mailserver.

OOPS!

Anyone got a better idea? Way to have fetchmail just dump the silly
things into one big local mbox file instead of looping to an MTA?