[ale] Sysadmin Position Open

Eric VanWiren evanwieren at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 12:59:09 EST 2004

Hey all.

I work at Emory, and we are looking for a sysadmin to fill an opening
we have. We have recieved some applicant resumes, but were hoping to
have a wider range of candidates to look at. If you know anyone that
fits the bill let them know.

Thanks,

Eric

Here is the description:

SUMMARY OF POSITION:

Web Unix Administrator to install, maintain, and monitor multiple
servers and the applications that run on the servers. This includes
operating system, hardware and application installation, monitoring
and backups. This position will be responsible providing 24/7 Unix
support on a rotating basis. Must have strong communication skills and
prior experience with Solaris and Linux. We are looking for a team
oriented person with a "can do" attitude who has a minimum of 5 years
of experience in Information Systems which includes 3+ years in
managing Sun/Solaris web server systems. Schedule: M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM
SOME WKENDS AND ONCALL.

POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:

1. Operating system installation.
2. Hardware installation.
3. Patch management
4. Manage backup and recovery of servers.
5. Manage security of servers.
6. Monitor servers and applications for errors and performance problems.
7. 3rd tier application support.
8. Tune operating system and hardware for optimal performance.
9. Develop scripts for automating routine tasks.
10. Capacity planning and hardware sizing.
11. Planning and implementing disaster recovery and high availability
for critical systems.
12. General troubleshooting of operating system, hardware, and
application problems.
13. Assist in the development and implementation of server standards
for all new servers.
14. Assist in the documentation of current and future systems.
15. Application implementation, support and tuning as necessary.

Required Skills:
Strong Solaris 8 & Red Hat Enterprise 3 skills
Solstice Disksuite, VxVM, VxFS
Shell scripting (sh, ksh, PERL, sed, awk)
Experience with setup & maintenance of: Tomcat, Resin, WebSphere,
Weblogic, Apache, LDAP, Cold Fusion & PHP.
Experience in ISP/Web Services.
Software coding experience a plus (Cold Fusion, JSP, C, Java, etc.)
Ability to work with minimal direction, & work in team environment.
Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or equivalent experience.

Desired Skills:
- Prefer High Availability and clustering knowledge, Oracle, LDAP and
Netegrity knowledge.

Benefits:
Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Paid Vacation,
Paid Sick Leave, 401(k), Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Training, Flex
Time