[ale] Sharp Zaurus hardware compatibility

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 4 20:03:44 EST 2004

The hardware reliability is just okay for the SL5500, SL5000, SL5600,
C750, C760, and C860.  The keyboard and screen can die if abused.  It is
much better on the SL6000L as it was designed for corporate use and has
a builtin "drop on the floor by accident" tolerance.  I'd base my
project around the OE (openembedded) project since it has support for
all models of  Zaurii shipped to the US.  Also, if your code is portable
OE can allow it to run on more than the Zaurii.  Go to
www.openembedded.org to check out the project.  I've noticed that 2.6 is
booting on the "Corgi" Zaurus now.  There are two kernel developers
working on getting the 2.6 kernel to run on the Zaurii.  They need help
if anyone with hardware/kernel expertise is interested.
Oh yeah, a good case levels the field on reliability!  I got a form fit
case for my C860 from Japan via mail order and it is a beautiful piece
of work.  Has a metal plate padded for protecting the PDA but is made of
black leather with red stitching.

The SL6000L is not a bad deal on Amazon and you don't need a wifi card.
I'd recommend a bluetooth serial port adapter for pairing with a
bluetooth cellphone.  That is a low power connection for remote access
thru a GPRS enabled cell plan.  Your Zaurus will use 20mW instead of
150mW for the connection.
Dow