[ale] Sharp Zaurus hardware compatibility

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.net
Wed Nov 3 15:22:14 EST 2004

Frank and company:

Sharp USA will be dropping support for all models of the Zaurus at the
end of the year (give or take).  This is per Sharp themselves and there
was mention of this on /. recently (within the past four weeks per
memory).

I personally own a Zaurus SL-6000L model, and have had trouble finding
more recent software and hardware (vs. software out there for the prior
models) using the existing Sharp ROM.  I have been debating on swapping
it over to OpenZaurus or the Debian port due to lack of those Linux
features I like to use (ssh, terminal, etc.) as well as other networking
applications.

Sites that I have found to date on the Zaurus are as follows:
www.openzaurus.org
www.trolltech.com
www.zaurusgroup.com
www.conics.net

The last one might be your best bet for Zaurus hardware since they are
based in Japan (and they do speak English quite well) and have access to
all the latest and greatest Zaurus toys since Sharp Japan will continue
support for the Zaurus series.

HTH and good luck!

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
P.M.B. 146
368 South McCaslin Boulevard
Louisville, CO 80027 USA
+1 (303) 604-2550 (voice)
+1 (866) 604-2550 (toll free within the US)
+1 (303) 664-0036 (fax)
http://www.linux-etc.biz