[ale] Mandrake 10.0 configure and make errors - whaaa?

Jay jloden at toughguy.net
Mon Jun 21 19:40:08 EDT 2004

Hi all, I've got a problem with a Mandrake 10.0 machine I admin at
school.  I set it up as an ftp server and it's running great.  However,
I ran into a strange problem today while trying to install software.
I'm hoping that someone's had a similiar experience and can shed some
light here.

The problem is with any software I've tried to install from source (rpms
are fine).  I run a ./configure as usual, and it finishes the configure,
but apparently is failing to create a Makefile, because when i then run
"make" it says "make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.
Stop.".  Now, when I do this, the configure script bounces out the
following errors:

grep: conftest.defines: No such file or directory
grep: conftest.undefs: No such file or directory
cat: ./confstat8zTZka/in: No such file or directory

That's my only clue I can find so far as to what the problem is.  If
anyone has any ideas or needs more outputs, let me know and I'll put it
in a file and on the web for you to see.  Oh, and if it helps any, the
specific stuff I was trying to install was naim, pork, or centericq, all
of which are ncurses IM clients.  I was able to compile something with
gcc also, so the compiler is all hunky dory.

Thanks!

-Jay