[ale] DLink DWL-520 or SMC2402W wireless card Mandrake 10.0 anyone have any advice?

Jay jloden at toughguy.net
Mon Jun 7 22:00:30 EDT 2004

I've been trying to follow the docs on the website and I'm dyin here.
I'm still new to linux, and while I'm determined and quick to pick it
up, some of this stuff is just beyond me experience so far.  So far,
what I have done is grab the firmware.agent file from the site, put it
in the proper dir and also move the firmware to the right dir after
renaming it to isl3890.  Now, when I try to do make on the source for
the driver, I get errors that looks like it's having trouble finding the
kernel source.  However, I dont know how to check a) if I have kernel
source installed or b) where is the path to it, if I do, because it's
not /usr/src

The other thing I felt I should mention is that Mandrake 10.0 has a
wireless X config program, and it includes(prior to me touching
anything) the prism54 as a choice for drivers to try (this would imply
I've got the driver already compiled?).  I tried that but the autoprobe
fails, and looking at the manual set for options was totally cryptic.
If you have any more advice that would be greatly appreciated, as it is
you've given me at least hope that I can get this damn thing to work.  I
refuse to use windows just for wireless when I went through all the
trouble of getting every other program I need out of windows to run on
crossover office specifically to avoid windows!  Thanks again!

-Jay