[ale] postfix / Bellsouth as ISP

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Fri Jun 4 17:48:05 EDT 2004

All,

I'm having problems sending e-mail from postfix to the world via
Bellsouth.  (I'm experimenting with SUSE 9.1)

It works fine if I originate the mail with evolution, which then
delivers it to mail.atl.bellsouth.net

If I have postfix configured to forward all mail to the same smtp
server, it fails.

I get
    550 .net 022: Your current IP address is not allowed to relay to
    norcrossgroup.com Solution: Connect using BellSouth Internet
Service. (in
    reply to RCPT TO command)

I am connected using Bellsouth (via a NAT gateway), so I'm not sure what
the problem is.

Does anybody have postfix forwarding their outbound e-mail to
Bellsouth?

My initial thought was that Bellsouth did not support PIPELINING so I
have configured postfix to use HELO (basic protocol) instead of EHLO
(advanced protocol)

Changing postfix's config to use HELO instead of EHLO did eliminate the
PIPELINING.

Now the "MAIL FROM:" and "RCPT TO:" are being sent in separate packets
from postfix.

Using ethereal, I don't see anything significantly different between
postfix and evolution sending out e-mail to my ISPs mail server.

As I said, sending via evolution works fine.  I'm not sure I have ever
succesfully sent with postfix/bellsouth before.  I'm still guessing
their is some kind of incompatibility.

Thanks
Greg
--