[ale] Can't connect to services with DSL connection

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Sat Jul 31 00:58:04 EDT 2004

Adrin wrote:

> I would almost say check to make sure you didn't do some type of custom setting in a host
> file or something.  That is before you start really digging, but then you say you
> connected a laptop.
>
> More and more ISP are requiring some special Auth. that you didn't have to setup in the
> past. Look for a FAQ on the providers website and see what how tos they have for setting
> up something like Outlook or other email program.
>
> You know you can lookup the server you are trying to get too?  Then use telnet
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port#  and see if you connect.  That is pretty much the raw way to debug.
> Ping used to be good but sometimes that is blocked.
>
> Adrin

I found a link buried deep in the Alltel site (per a reply I received)
that showed how to change the SpeedStream 5200's firewall setting from
Medium to Off.

You would think they would:
1.  Send you the info with the modem
2.  Make it more prominent in their knowledgebase or DSL page
3.  Explain to their Tech Support people.  This was not even mentioned
as an option.

Ah well, seems fixed now.  Thanks for all the replies.