[ale] Lib Error installing Mozilla Firefox (redux)

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Jul 29 11:21:05 EDT 2004

aaron <aaron at pd.org> writes:

> Thought I'd try this question again, since the list went wonky about the time
> I first posted it...
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my Firebird 0.7 browser to the latest Firefox 0.9.1 on
> my (somewhat kludged) RH 7.3 system using their provided install script.
> I got one libstdc++ notice that I was able to reslove, but then another lib
> error cropped up:
>
> ./firefox-installer-bin: relocation error: ,
> 	 /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0:undefined symbol: g_bsearch_array_new
>
> I've confirmed the installation of the lib in question, but still get the
> error,  which I am reading is a reference to a missing function call in the
> libs.

Yes, it indicates that some code in libgobject-2.9.so.0 is trying to
use the symbol g_bsearch_array_new, which isn't defined.
> (My Gnome lib versions may also be tangled up from a failed attempt to
> upgrade them for GIMP 2.0.)
>
> Any suggestions for fixing this?
> Are there tools for tracking shared lib functions?

"nm" will show you all the symbols in an object file or library. The
g_bsearch_array_new symbol supposed to be defined in libglib. In fact,
I just did

nm /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so | grep bsearch

and there it was. It's *not* in libglib-1.2, however, so first check
that you've got libglib-2.0 installed, and if you do, then a google
for the single term "g_bsearch_array_new" yields some interesting
hits. It appears you may be seeing a libtool bug.

Cheers,

-- Joe

--
"We sat and watched as this whole       <-- (Died Pretty -- "Springenfall")
 blue sky turned to black..."