[ale] Changing the default tty that XFree86 starts on?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jul 22 00:00:02 EDT 2004

Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Does anyone know which conf file determines what tty XFree86 will start
> on?  On my machine it's tty6, but I'd like to change it to a different one.

I can't recall the answer to this, but I'll see what I can dig up.  I'm
pretty sure X takes the first available.  On my box, X runs on tty7 and
in /etc/inittab there are gettys specified for tty1-tty6.  If you remove
one of those entries I'm pretty sure X will start on the one you remove.
  If you remove all of them, (probably not wise) X will start on tty1.

This is speculation drawn from playing with this a while back.

If you go to a current virtual terminal, you can start another X session
as in:

startx -- :1

This will show up on your next available tty, in your case tty7.

> Also, out of curiosity, how many tty's can I have on my machine?  I have
> 12 Function keys, and I think it might be pretty sexy to have about 10
> or 12 gettys listening on each one.

I assume you are referring to multiple instances of X on different ttys?
There was a discussion regarding this on the list a while back.  I was
able to configure a large # of these, I think it was > then 8 anyway.