[ale] Changing the default tty that XFree86 starts on?

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Wed Jul 21 22:54:07 EDT 2004

Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Does anyone know which conf file determines what tty XFree86 will
> start on?  On my machine it's tty6, but I'd like to change it to a
> different one.

you mean by doing something different than:

startx --:2

which will place another session of X on the next tty (tty7 in your case).

it's been a while since i've used this, but give it a try.

to give it 24 bit color depth (if it is not your default) try:

startx --:2 -bpp 24

changing 24 to 16 would swap it to 16 bit color.

you probably get the idea.

tired now,
Preston