[ale] /dev/ttyUSB0 question

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jul 21 18:00:50 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 01:19:37PM -0400, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> I was disappointed to find that Mandrake 10, though it uses a 2.6 kernel, does
> not have devfs.  Does anyone know of a distibution that does have devfs?

Gentoo uses devfs.  However, devfs is marked as OBSOLETE in the 2.6
kernel, which may be why Mandrake 10 doesn't use it.  The kernel
developers appear to be embracing udev instead:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev_vs_devfs
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9