[ale] subverting public school software

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jul 20 08:52:53 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 08:00, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> No flames but have you see the new installer in Sarge?  I used it to
> install a laptop last week, it's about a 200% improvement over the
> older.  No, still not as nice as RedHat's but going into a school, a
> little more security might be a nice thing.

Name recognition is a big thing for the school system decision makers.
They are the ones who will catch the flak for a poor choice and they
_don't_ have job protection like tenure. The old mantra was "No one got
fired for buying IBM" has changed to "No gets fired for buying
Microsoft". I would LOVE to see that changed!

Seeing Novell-Suse installed might not be too difficult since the school
already has a huge deployment of Novell.

> You also might want to see if they're going to have use for a proxy
> server with a "protect the children" feature.  squid+squidguard has
> worked great at a school in colorado I set up almost 4 years ago.  It
> got some attention when people got the "oh no they might learn something
> I don't aprove of" bug.

Yep. Due to the current mindset (student, parent, administration alike),
squidguard is a must. I pity the budding scientist who needs to find
"rubber nipple" from from an electronic supply house to cover an exposed
toggle switch.