[ale] OT: Firewall purchase

Jonathan Rickman jdr at xcorps.net
Thu Jul 8 13:05:05 EDT 2004

> A Pix would never support 50 VPN sessions and probably would
> collapse around 5-10.

Well that's certainly nice to know. It must have been my imagination working
in overdrive when I reached out and touched a PIX 515 that was chugging
right along with over 300 sessions. It probably should have burned my
fingers to the bone. Heck, it probably melted right after I left. That 506E
(<$1000.00) that had been handling 18 sessions for over 100 days must have
been my imagination as well. And you're almost right with your 5-10 number
in that the 501 is limited to 10, but it pretty much does all 10 without any
problems. I've seen it on numerous occasions. Heck, I know of a location a
few miles up the road where a guy has 8 of the little boogers all meshed
with VPN tunnels, running OSPF just like the original poster wanted to.

Bob I have a lot of respect for you and your knowledge, but that statement
was beyond over the top.

--
Jonathan