[ale] OT: Firewall purchase

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Thu Jul 8 12:34:43 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:51:24PM -0400, David Hamm wrote:
> Jonhton,

> I'm cirtanly interested in a PIX if it does ospf and costs around $500.

> > Number of remote VPN sessions?
> Fifty VPN sessions would be plenty.  But I'd like to use IPSEC for both
> workstation to network and network to network VPNs.
A Pix would never support 50 VPN sessions and probably would collapse
around 5-10.  But wait!  For even more money for their overpriced
PCs with proprietary software, you can get a VPN accelerator.

A SysAdmin client of mine recently was forced by the boneheads running IT
to replace his Linux Firewall/VPNs that I provided with Cisco equipment.
The cost for the Cisco junk was about 4 times that of the Linux hardware,
software (free), and my time to build and install and configure.  That
4 times cost did not even include months of the SysAdmin's work.

Cisco is like Microsoft ... an expensive addiction that is better
satisfied with Linux.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]