[ale] Sound problems in Debian 2.6 kernel

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jul 6 09:16:22 EDT 2004

I recently upgraded my work computer (Debian Sid) from kernel 2.4.25 to
2.6.7.  Everything seems to work great except the sound.  Actually, the
sound seems to work great too: the modules all load correctly, and I can
"play" WAV or MP3 files with alsaplayer, there's just no sound output.
I've verified that the Master and PCM channels are unmuted, and both are
at 100%, but still no sound.

I used ALSA with the 2.4 kernel without any problems.  And, if I reboot
into 2.4, the sound still works flawlessly.  I've tried googling for
this, but everything I've found says to unmute the master and PCM
channels, which I know is a common problem.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9