[ale] OT: Firewall purchase

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jul 5 11:15:52 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 23:37, David Hamm wrote:
> Are you suggesting that a power blink will cause the firewall to replace it's
> remote access password with a default/HARDCODED password?

There is a series of firewall products whose name brand escapes me
(search on slashdot) that has a backdoor password that was embedded. The
patch was a flash upgrade that turned off the password use from the
outside connection. Further study showed the power reset would revert
back to the default allow remote login with backdoor password.

> > Both of those have known security issues.
> Last time I looked the only security issue with NetGear's FVS318 had to do
> with a buffer overflow on the remote access login.  The overflow would cause
> a reboot of the unit and no other side effects.  A rule that only permits
> access from a couple of specific known hosts reduces exposure to this.  If
> you have a link with more info please pass it along.

see above. If I get the time today, I'll dig up the references I was
reading on this. It's about 2 months old (or so)

> > Neither support VPN connections directly.
> Huh?  I just put a VPN together a couple months ago with a pair of FVS318s.
> It also worked two years ago when I tested the ability of the FVS318 to
> connect to a Nortel 1510.  We could make the connection but the two units
> couldn't negotiate a routing protocal.

The VPN in many off the shelf devices is PPtP which has numerous, well
known vulnerabilities. PPtP is used often as it is easy to do and older
M$ machines support it easily with little support needed to set it up.

When I think of a VPN, I'm thinking IPSec with pre-shared keys. There
are many firewall boxes that support IPSec with pre-shared keys. None
are in the $100 range. All require additional license purchase for
multiple VPN client access.

A _real_ VPN server can act as the end point for the VPN tunnel. Most of
the firewall devices out there _support_ VPN by merely passing IPSec
datagrams freely. They do not act as a VPN server or client.

**NOTE** I don't regularly check all the stats on new network hardware
that does in silicon what I prefer to do in RAM. The last sweep of
firewall technology I did was Feb. 2004 and that was of corporate
firewall products that support IPSec. None of those was less than $1500.

> > All of the off-the-shelf firewall devices are generic boxes that are
> > cookie cutter rule sets for a limited set of protection scenarios. The
> > ability to ssh into the firewall and adjust as needed is absolutely
> > priceless.
> Yes, I like ssh and IPtables too but this isn't a problem for that solution.

Then have the client spend the $100 for "The Emperors New Clothes"
firewall product. Make sure you get a release of liability document
signed before you put it in. If it is a product that _you_ recommend,
you WILL be the first person called on a problem. I have found
supporting products that I don't have complete and full access to
difficult at best and impossible at worst. I don't like being in the
position of having the responsibility for a situation but not the
authority to do what I see is best to make the solution happen.