[ale] OT: Firewall purchase

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 5 02:50:36 EDT 2004

Your right about the FVS318 not having a truly dangerous vulnerability
found so far.  If either device your thinking of is flasheable then you
might be able to overcome the vulnerability before putting the device in
place.  The cheaper route is okay when you don't need or plan to do any
updates or improvements.  If you have any thoughts of remote admin with
improvements then definitely it is time to talk to the client about a
more sophisticated firewall.  Personally, I hate flashing as an admin
since you usually can't do it remotely.  If it doesn't flash properly
you can have a brick and egg on your face. ;-)

Good luck!  However, I think most people on the list would agree that a
slightly more expensive solution would serve you and your client much
better in the long run.  We've had lots of improvements and patches
applied very quickly, and proactively as well, by Bob's Fly-By-Day
Consulting over the years.  Probably the best money we've ever spent is
for his annual contract on our firewalls.
Dow