[ale] OT: Win98 + Infections

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sun Jul 4 21:48:11 EDT 2004

try using AdSubtract - a kind of adware proxy.  I think Norton has something
out also, but I have been using AdSubtract successfully for a while now.  I
also set up the in-built proxy of all of my browsers to send any stuff from
a list of ad-nazis to 127.0.0.1 or some such non-existent/non active
address.  When I use anything now that uses these ad-thugs in a webpage
their ad is replaced by a "cannot connect" box.  Turn off Java and
javascript also, as well as everything else, especially ActiveX.  Removing
any vestiges of the Windows Scripting Host is nice too.  Better yet use
Mozilla Firefox or Opera.

Good luck any you have my sympathies.

Greg