[ale] Linux utility to read/convert ClarisWorks files?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Jan 26 11:49:04 EST 2004

On Friday 23 January 2004 02:54 pm, Joe Knapka wrote:
> "Michael D. Hirsch" <mhirsch at nubridges.com> writes:
> > On Thursday 22 January 2004 11:33 am, Joe Knapka wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I recently moved the family machine from Win98 to Red Hat 8.  Every
> > > thing is going well (now that we have a printer that actually works
> > > reliably), except for one small snag. My wife has a boatload of Claris
> > > Works word-processor docs she created under Windows (using an _o_l_d_
> > > version of Claris - I bought it when we were still on Windows 3.0). I
> > > naively assumed that OpenOffice would be able to import those files,
> > > but that doesn't seem to be the case. I could install Claris on one of
> > > the two remaining Windows boxen and convert all those files to RTF
> > > using Claris, but sheesh, what a tedious pain in the posterior.
> > >
> > > So does anyone know of a Linux utility that will convert Claris files
> > > to some format intelligible to OpenOffice?  (Using Google, I slammed
> > > right into the "there are seventy-gazillion pages that contain at
> > > least one of the words in your query" problem...)
> >
> > I just went through this, except that it was on a Mac.  There is a Mac
> > program for doing conversion to MS Word.  I converted on the Mac, then
> > transfered to Linux.  Strangely, OO does not read those files correctly,
> > but kword and abiword do.
> >
> > I suspect you'll have more success looking for a windows client than a
> > linux client.
>
> Probably so. I can install the version of ClarisWorks with which the
> docs were created on my XP box (my version of Claris won't run under
> Wine) and convert them all (probably 100 docs) by hand to RTF, but I'd
> probably die of boredom after doing thirty of them. Ah well, maybe ten
> per day would be safe...

I believe I used MacLinkPlus
http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/mlp_xlators.html and I could just
drop a folder on it and it would convert everything in that folder,
recursively.  I see that dataviz has a windows program, too, named
"Conversions Plus"
http://www.dataviz.com/products/conversionsplus/CPW_Translist.html.  I bet it
does the same thing.

Michael