[ale] Comcast linux...

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Jan 7 06:43:27 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:31:21PM -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> 	My experience with the tech was when the guy came to the house with
> the cable modem (which I purchased rather than leased) and walked down into
> my basement and came face to face with my rack in my NOC...  I told him he was
> connecting to the mini tower on the top of the rack on the left.  He asked,
> "What does it run, Linux?"  I said "Correct."  He said "I don't think we
> support Linux."  My reply was "Good.  I support Linux.  You support giving
> me a network connection.  Just call these numbers (the MAC addresses) in."
> He did and was amaze when it all simply poped up and worked perfect, first
> shot, when I typed the ifup command.  Repeat a second time a few months
> later at my son's digs.
It isn't that way any more.  *after* they key your system's MAC address,
you have to wait a day or so for their dinosaur of a DB to update, then
have to practically beat out of the online tech, what URL to throw your
browser at, and then supply your MAC, portion of your account number,
and mail account password.  I just went through this nonsense last month.
I REALLY hate monopolies!

> 	Mike
> --
>  Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw at WittsEnd.com
>   /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
>   NIC whois:  MHW9      |  An optimist believes we live in the best of all
>  PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471    |  possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!

Bob