[ale] linking 2 lans via PPP ?

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Tue Jan 6 20:55:20 EST 2004

Hi guys - I have a feeling this is an easy one; but I can't figure it out.

I'm trying to link 2 lans over the internet using pppd.  I'm NOT trying
to tunnel it through SSH, however.  It's an odd configuration, and
security isn't an issue here, so I don't need the ssh tunnel.
Basically, I have 2 LANs that I want to link via PPP.  Each LAN has its
own static gateway address.  I'd like to link them together.  Both LANs
are numbered differently (ie. one is 192.168.3.0 and the other is
192.168.4.0).  I'd like to link them as such:

LAN1 (192.168.3.0) - Gateway (201.232.1.2) - Internet - Gateway
(12.31.212.69) - LAN2 (192.168.4.0)

I could easily handle the routing issues that are involved; however, I
just can't seem to find simple and straighforward info on how to do PPP
in this configuration.  The PPP howto has a 1 paragraph "chapter" on
linking LANs with PPP, but it simply says that the howto can show you
how to do it.  But it doesn't -  it only shows dialup/chat style PPP
connections.

I just want to do a simple "pppd noauth ... " command that I can use to
create a link.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Much thanks in advance,
-CB