[ale] linux recommendations

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Dec 23 21:28:39 EST 2004

James Sumners wrote:
> Stable is meant to be stable. You can install with a 2.4.x kernel if
> you type 'bf24' at the boot prompt.

That's fine.  I don't necessarily agree with a 2.2 kernel being stable,
I'd call it stale.  My opinion.  I don't install anything called testing
or unstable on a client machine, but will install SuSE Pro, possibly
even Fedora core.

I must have missed the bf24 option, was it displayed anywhere?

> Sarge's (the testing branch, which is due out Real Soon Now)
> installer is much more user friendly than Woody's installer. If you
> are looking for a more update installer you can try out the Sarge
> discs (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/).

I just finished downloading the 7 discs for stable. :(

> I run Debian stable on all my servers. For my desktops and laptop I
> use the unstable branch. I intend to load Ubuntu Linux on my laptop
> over the winter break (I work at a college) and give it a shot. I
> have really been looking for a "desktop distribution" based on Debian
> to fall in love with for my everyday systems.

I don't know, I just can't seem to consider something that is running
stuff that is that old.  2.2 kernel by default.

> But, as Jim said, Debian stable does NOT have the latest and greatest
> software. What it does have is the most solid release system out
> there. Security updates? Stable has 'em and has 'em fast.

You must mean the most solid Debian release system out there. :)

--
Until later, Geoffrey