[ale] linux recommendations

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Thu Dec 23 21:07:55 EST 2004

Stable is meant to be stable. You can install with a 2.4.x kernel if you type
'bf24' at the boot prompt.

Sarge's (the testing branch, which is due out Real Soon Now) installer is much
more user friendly than Woody's installer. If you are looking for a more update
installer you can try out the Sarge discs
(http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/).

I run Debian stable on all my servers. For my desktops and laptop I use the
unstable branch. I intend to load Ubuntu Linux on my laptop over the winter
break (I work at a college) and give it a shot. I have really been looking for a
"desktop distribution" based on Debian to fall in love with for my everyday
systems.

But, as Jim said, Debian stable does NOT have the latest and greatest software.
What it does have is the most solid release system out there. Security updates?
Stable has 'em and has 'em fast.