[ale] a Google <feature!> OT

William Wylde baron_shatturday at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 26 13:11:36 EDT 2004

James:

>There is a knee-jerk reaction that people have when they find out that
>something that used to be hard is now easy because of a computer. Once
>privacy is actually a constitutionally protected right, then there is a
>legal aspect of this stuff to be concerned about.

This is very true.  Take, for example, the new Google-mail service- with
it's 1GB storage capacity and it's attendant license which allows them to
scan your e-mails in order to target advertisements for you.

While I wouldn't be interested in such a service at such a cost, many
"privacy advocate" groups have jumped to the plate to challenge Google's
"right" to do this.  Notably, the EFF is *not* among the groups pressuring
Google at the moment (I'm unaware as to the existance of any legal case
against them as of now).  It seems to me that these groups are challeging
*my* right to give up this bit of privacy,  if I should so choose.

This would be the very epitome of a "knee-jerk reaction" in my book...

(,,oBo,,) "What have I become Lottie?  My wife in a cage with a