[ale] OpenOffice Calc vs Gnumeric

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Apr 26 13:02:22 EDT 2004

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Brian Chase wrote:

> Well, I've primarily focused my energies in Linux to server
> capabilities, but with the applications growing ever stronger on the
> desktop, I've been using more and more desktop Linux.  I am interested
> in feedback on the specific comparison of OpenOffice Calc vs. Gnumeric.
>
> Being an experienced Excel user, I find Gnumeric a much easier
> transition to make, many of the same icons as Excel, things I use alot
> like the "sum" button, function button, and $ formatting in particular.
>
> Anybody know of good writeups of the two in a face-off?  Google brought
> me little in this regard, except for a few kudo's for Gnumeric, similar
> to my early impressions of the two as they stack up.
>
> Experiences, observations, and extreme prejudice welcome to respond.

Last time I tried Gnumeric it couldn't do graphs. Other than that, I had
the same finding as you, Gnumeric seemed a bit easier to use and
transition from Excel. But now I use OO and the integration with the other
parts of OO are pretty good and most things seem to work pretty well. My
Fiance uses it quite a bit and she says she likes it okay. She knows it's
different than Excel but doesn't necessarilly prefer one or the other.

hope that helps,

	bjorn