[ale] OpenOffice Calc vs Gnumeric

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Apr 24 19:29:12 EDT 2004

Well, I've primarily focused my energies in Linux to server
capabilities, but with the applications growing ever stronger on the
desktop, I've been using more and more desktop Linux.  I am interested
in feedback on the specific comparison of OpenOffice Calc vs. Gnumeric.

Being an experienced Excel user, I find Gnumeric a much easier
transition to make, many of the same icons as Excel, things I use alot
like the "sum" button, function button, and $ formatting in particular.

Anybody know of good writeups of the two in a face-off?  Google brought
me little in this regard, except for a few kudo's for Gnumeric, similar
to my early impressions of the two as they stack up.

Experiences, observations, and extreme prejudice welcome to respond.

Cheers,

Brian