[ale] Windows Remoting X'ing

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Apr 13 20:47:34 EDT 2004

You need something running an X server on the windows box. Yeah, I know,
it seems backwards. The server for X drives the screen, all the apps are
clients.

There are several commercial X servers for windows. Exceed and
hummingbird (are they the same? it's been a long time...) are two very
complete examples.

Cygwin now comes with XFree86 server. It works rather well. 2 years ago,
I had a cygwin/X setup on a W2K box and I compiled XFCE for it. It ran
like a top. I could then ssh to a remote *nix machines and run what ever
I wanted.

Note: startx is not the command you want to run for a remote X session.
Once you have a runing X server on the windows box, ssh to the remote
box and just run the app you want. eg. Mozilla (resource hog) or xterm
or gnucash.

Ah, the true joy of a well designed OS. Remote execution with local
display. There are tricks to do that will compress the X data. XDPC is
the best one. It will only send the changes to the screen. It can cut
and X session data stream to almost usable over a dialup line.