[ale] Windows Remoting X'ing

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Tue Apr 13 19:17:39 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 18:59, jeb wrote:
> I have a question for the list, what do I need to send x via ssh to my
> windows box?
>
> I have a Mandrake 10 server running ssh and x, on my windows xp box, I
> am running putty with x11 forwarding on.  However, I login fine but when
> I launch x as a normal user I get :
>
> [jebba at localhost jebba]$ startx
> Authentication failed - cannot start X server.
> Perhaps you do not have console ownership?xinit:  Server error.
>

> But, when I log in as root, and start x.  It runs on the server.
>
> Hopefully this makes sense?  I am still very new to linux.  What I'm a
> doing wrong?

I don't use your method, but I do use cygwin and xfree86 installed on my
windows desktop (both GPL).

Then, I launch X on my windows box with
     "XWin -query linux_box -clipboard"

I get a full kdm login screen and I simply login and start using my
linux box.

I did have to enable remote kdm on my linux server.

The only problem I have is the clipboard is not very stable. ie. Some
times it works, and some times it doesn't.

HTH
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer