Resolved Re: [ale] Q: How do I set up multiple PPP targets?

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 23 17:31:35 EDT 2003

Jonathan, ALErs -

Thanks for the help.

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Jonathan Rickman wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 October 2003 09:29, John Mills wrote:
> > I used the 'pppsetup' script (in Slackware-9.1) to define a dial-in
> > connection to my Atlanta ISP, and now I want to define a couple of
> > other access links. The two I want to add will have different phone
> > numbers and will share their account information (big deal ...), but
> > will be a different account from the first one.
> > What is a convenient way to set this up?
> Just like you describe. I have 3 eth-on scripts and 2 ppp-on scripts for
> different networks.

Actually it worked out more smoothly than that. Slackware's setup script
for PPP produces two scripts of its own: 'ppp-go' that passes the desired
activity in '$1', and 'pppscript' that drives 'chat'. (Options is also set
up.) I just added '$1' cases for each of my three dialups, a chat script
for each phone number, and an 'options-*' for each ISP account. The
various passwords in 'pap-secrets' are identified by the account as it
appears in the resptive 'options-*'.

I bring up my PPP with: 'pppchoose [ISP1 | ISP2 | ...]'. I may put it
under a 'sudoers' entry, but basically it does what I want.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu