[ale] OT: I AM paranoid!

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 10 19:30:14 EDT 2003

All of the stuff that Jeff posted is, of course, the law. But it isn't the
whole story. If you have an incidence of debit card fraud and you report it
within the 48 hour time limit, the bank will usually reimburse you on a
provisional basis right away. They did that for me as soon as they got the
signed affidavit swearing that the transactions were fraudulent. And because
I was so quick to notify the merchants, they were already moving to refund my
money themselves. The rule here is to be quick! I log onto my bank account
just about every day. That was why I reported the crime so fast. If you log
on to your credit card account every day, you're a really unusual person.

And there is another side of debit vs. credit. If you have a debit card
incident, it is really between you and your bank. If you are a victim of
credit card fraud, your name goes on all sorts of watch lists with credit
reporting agencies and it isn't easy to know what lists you are on and how to
get off of them. You will just notice a certain extra chill when you go to
apply for credit again. They have their own criteria for deciding whether you
were victim or perpetrator and it's all kind of obscure to the consumer. It's
kind of obscure to me too, but I know it happens. If you are a victim of
credit card fraud, you need to be checking with all of the reporting agencies
to look out for bad information.