[ale] MySql scare tactics?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Oct 9 16:33:18 EDT 2003

On Thursday 09 October 2003 01:41 am, Joe Knapka wrote:
> "John Wells" <jb at devsea.com> writes:
> > Here's an interesting reply from MySql.com sales.  I frankly don't see
> > how using it on multiple internal servers constitutes a violation of the
> > GPL. Anyone?
>
> My interpretation of this, and of the original license page (which
> I read a couple of days ago before downloading MySQL to install
> on my <mumble mumble xp> box), is that:
>
> (1) If your application (which use MySQL) is distributed under the
> GPL, you are home free wrt MySQL - distribute it, patch it, give it to
> your friend and neighbors (bundled with your app or not), etc. Of
> course, you're bound by the terms of the GPL in your actions regarding
> MySQL, just as you would be if you were distributing any other GPL app
> - you must provide source or info about how to get it, make your
> patches available to the community, etc.
>
> (2) If your application is *not* distributed under the GPL, then you
> must get a commercial license before doing anything that might be
> interpreted as "distribution" of MySQL. It seems to me that they
> essentially want to grant a free development license to closed-source
> shops, but they want to collect $$ for closed-source runtime licenses.

I agree, this is what they want.  I also agree with Bob Toxen that this is BS.
The GPL is very clear as to what can or can't be done with software under the
GPL license.  One thing you can do is redistribute it.  Another thing you can
do is use it in pretty much with any other software as long as the other
software is not a derivative work.

MySQL would like to believe that any application that interacts with their
server is a derivative work and thus must either be GPLed unless you buy a
diffrerent license.  I can see no justification for their belief.

Michael