[ale] MySql scare tactics?

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Oct 9 02:39:40 EDT 2003

"John Wells" <jb at devsea.com> writes:

> Here's an interesting reply from MySql.com sales.  I frankly don't see how
> using it on multiple internal servers constitutes a violation of the GPL.
> Anyone?

My interpretation of this, and of the original license page (which
I read a couple of days ago before downloading MySQL to install
on my <mumble mumble xp> box), is that:

(1) If your application (which use MySQL) is distributed under the
GPL, you are home free wrt MySQL - distribute it, patch it, give it to
your friend and neighbors (bundled with your app or not), etc. Of
course, you're bound by the terms of the GPL in your actions regarding
MySQL, just as you would be if you were distributing any other GPL app
- you must provide source or info about how to get it, make your
patches available to the community, etc.

(2) If your application is *not* distributed under the GPL, then you
must get a commercial license before doing anything that might be
interpreted as "distribution" of MySQL. It seems to me that they
essentially want to grant a free development license to closed-source
shops, but they want to collect $$ for closed-source runtime licenses.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka