[ale] Lynx and ssh is kinda cool

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Oct 7 00:00:08 EDT 2003

Once you get the hang of what to spell out on the command line to print
exactly the way you want, you can save those parameters in cups with a
new printer name (hp, hp-duplex, hp-photo, hp-transparency, etc). Then
you just lp -d printer_name postscript_file.ps! I resisted the change to
cups earlier. It was well worth the effort to make the switch.

I just picked up a new HP Business Inkjet 1100. They have the built-in
two sided print and a jet-direct module and dual paper trays ($300
Office Depot). And they use all the same ink and heads I had already
bought for the one (HP Business Inkjet 2200) that got clobbered in my
lightning storm. So I have multiple printers to choose from (OpenOffice
is _very_ happy), and my kids only get the cheap paper in duplex and
draft mode since they just the hit the print button every 5 minutes
anyway (paperless office my a**!)