[ale] Debian Print Server - magicfilter probs

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 6 14:50:16 EDT 2003

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 02:14:40PM -0400, griffisb at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Making progress on the print server. Am able to print b&w text directly using "lpr /etc/motd" - gives me the motd yadda yadda stuff. Still having problems printing from Samba clients, just getting lots of codes printed out.

Sounds like a ghostscript/filter problem.

> It's an HP Deskjet 722C. In magicfilter I selected pnm2ppa-720-color-filter for my color queue and pnm2ppa-720-bw-filter for black and white printing. Anyone have experience with magicfilter and LPRng?

I've never used magicfilter, but maybe you're using the wrong filters
for your printer?  I've used LPRng with RedHat and Debian, and found
that the filters that come with stock RedHat worked very well for my
needs.  Not so with the Debian.  I ended up switching to CUPS.  You
might want to try that as well, but that's another learning curve.
Also, CUPS is incompatible with lpr, so apt-get will remove all the lpr
packages.  But, there is an lpr-compatibility package, cupsys-bsd, which
contain the familliar lpr, lpq, etc. commands.

> Second question - if I want to print out from another Linux desktop, how would I set that up? Is there a simple utility for remote LPD in SuSE? But at least I know that I CAN print from the goofy little PC, so I'm at a good starting point.

Don't know about any SuSE-specific setup, but surely Yast can do it?

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9