[ale] MS BIOS

Irv irvm at ellijay.com
Sat Oct 4 12:43:27 EDT 2003

On Saturday 04 October 2003 01:28 pm, Jeff Rose wrote:
> who wants to bet that 'unauthorized' software, /*linux*/ won't run on
> phoenix bios.  Hopefully in 2 years time when this gets implemented,
> linux will be sufficiently widespread that phoenix will have a hard time
> selling this crap.  Actually I'm curious to see Windows' users reactions
> when they can no longer download, and play their pirated mp3's and
> software.  Since most of them can't/won't turn DRM off, I wonder if they
> will make the switch to another platform or fall in line when they
> realize they don't control their computers.  MS is betting they can herd
> them.

I'm almost certain that Linux wouldn't be allowed to run. But this may
have some positive effects. Such as a massive lawsuit (probably lead
by IBM), and joined by many other OS and software firms against
Microsoft. Probable further anit-trust actions by governments, and a
strengthening of Microsoft's competitors.

Computers wear out / become obsolete, so when it comes time to
upgrade, I bet that a LOT of people will chose to buy Apples instead
of the crippled Windows boxes.

> I think now is the time for linux on the desktop to kick into
> high gear.  If someone can offer a super easy distro when Longhorn comes
> out, we may yet see the MS empire fall.

Barring a law which requires every citizen to purchase and use a
Microsoft product. That wouldn't surprise me.

Irv