OUCH!!! Re: [ale] DummyQ: Minimum RAM to install RH-7.3

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 1 15:29:45 EDT 2003

I found one reference on groups.google pointing to some problems with
7.3 and 486 processors (and other really old hardware).  What kind of
hardware is in the machine?

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/install-guide/trouble.html#S2-TROUBLE-SIG11

Is Your System Displaying Signal 11 Errors?
If you receive a fatal signal 11 error during your installation, it is
probably due to a hardware error in memory on your system's bus. A
hardware error in memory can be caused by problems in executables or
with the system's hardware. Like other operating systems, Red Hat Linux
places its own demands on your system's hardware. Some of this hardware
may not be able to meet those demands, even if they work properly under
another OS.

Check to see if you have the latest installation and supplemental boot
diskettes from Red Hat. Review the online errata to see if newer
versions are available. If the latest images still fail, it may be due
to a problem with your hardware. Commonly, these errors are in your
memory or CPU-cache. A possible solution for this error is turning off
the CPU-cache in the BIOS. You could also try to swap your memory around
in the motherboard slots to see if the problem is either slot or memory
related.

For more information concerning signal 11 errors, refer to:

http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

Thanks

Jonathan Glass