[ale] Package Management System

Nathan J. Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Fri Jul 25 18:57:12 EDT 2003

I'd have to agree.  I've been called a 'die hard Red Hat guy', but it's a simple
case of that's what I'm comfortable with (bought RH Linux 4.2 at Best buy, just
'cause' it wasn't Windows), and have somehow stuck with it.  I've managed
several Debian boxes, though, and have to agree that apt-get is pretty sweet.

Quoting Debrihmi <debrihmi at chaos706.org>:

> I myself am a loyal follower of apt-get, however, I would like to see how
> and
> why folks feel the way they do about Package Management; and I would like to
> tally the response..
>
> ~
> Debrihmi
>

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 18:17:27 -0400, Thomas Holmquist wrote
> > .deb is the best all around, I think your view of linux lacking
> > proper management will change after you see it in action.
> >
> > Debrihmi wrote:
> >
> > >Hello there!
> > >
> > >Most everybody agrees that one of the greatest stumbling blocks to the
> mass
> > >adoption of Linux is this Package Management System (or lack there-of)..
> > >
> > >If one a Package Management System were to be adpoted across the board,
> what
> > >would you vote for, AND WHY..  Or do you think we should "go back to the
> > >drawing board?"..
> > >
> > >~
> > >Debrihmi
> > >--