[ale] identd + sendmail

Ronald Chmara ron at opus1.com
Thu Jul 17 11:43:23 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 02:22 PM, Mike Millson wrote:
> Is it recommended to run or not run identd on a box running sendmail?

Yes and no, depends on who you talk to.

> I have been using sendmail for a while and not running identd w/o any
> apparent issues, so I'm guessing it isn't needed, but is not running it
> limiting in any way? Is there a best practice regarding this?

You don't *need* it, so it's a little more secure (just because of the
least-amount-of-services-to-exploit-rule) to not run it...

However, if it's connecting out to other mail servers that are
requesting ident checks for all incoming mail connections (such as many
default sendmail configs), sending email from your server will be a tad
slower for each message session (depending on the mc/cf flags used).

-Bop