[ale] Connecting to MS with LDAP

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jul 17 11:48:04 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:00:36PM -0400, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> Our company directory is a windows thingie.  With outlook anyone can find
> any mail address, browse calendars, etc.
>
> I'm told that MS is just doing LDAP under the hood, so in priciple I should
> be able to connect the KDE address book (Kaddressbook)  to the server and
> have similar access to the company directory.
>
> Has anyone done this?  Did you have success?  As near as I can tell I've
> never gotten anything from the server.

I do this currently using mozilla.  I've also had limited success using
evolution.  I've never used kaddressbook, though, but it should be
similar.

The trickiest part is figuring out how to authenticate.  In my
experience, every single LDAP server uses a different scheme for the
bind DN.  Some use your username, some use your email address, some use
a weird LDAP DN like "cn=username" or similar.  You'll need to
experiment, or ask your sysadmin.

If you have mozilla installed, I would recommend trying that first.
It's extremely easy to setup, just go to prefs->addressing and click the
"Edit Directories" button.  Click Add, enter a name and the hostname of
your AD server.  Try leaving the base DN and bind DN blank at first, and
see if it works.  If it doesn't, try experimenting with the bind DN.

Good Luck,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9