[ale] Lindows vs the semi-annual Windows suck-a-thonRE: [ale] Lindows vs the semi-annual Windows suck-a-thon

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Feb 24 19:32:08 EST 2003

I've allways speculated on why the assembly of OS programs into a distrubution
can be freely downloaded.  In the case of RedHat,  I firmly
believe that anyone should be able to download any package that is OSS on its
distribution free of charge.  However, the assembly of that software into what
we call RH 8.0 should be paid for.

I'm guilty like most of just downloading from the website and doing my own
support.  I've only purchased one version of RH and I think that was 4.2 and I
also bought the CDE development kit.

So I think Lindows has the right to do what they do.  The ought to make the
software like ssh, init, binutils, gcc, and etc. aavailable to those who
want them but we should pay for the product called "Lindows" itself.

I believe that RH may be smart and start selling its disti and not allowing
it to be freely downloaded anymore.  I give them total support for this if
they did it. I believe SuSe does it since I've not been able to find the
latest and greates iso available for free.  RH will just wait till it gets a
good solid userbase.  Like MS not going after people who pirate until they get
a big userbase.

Chris